- Fresh fish should have a mild sea breeze odor. A strong fishy or ammonia odor is not acceptable.
- Whole fresh fish should have bright, clear and shiny eyes. Scales should be shiny and cling tightly to the skin.
- Look for bright pink or red gills. Avoid any fish with sores or lesions on the skin.
- Steaks and fillets should be moist with firm and have shiny flesh. The flesh should spring back when pressed.
- At the market, make sure that cooked seafood products are not in contact with raw seafood products in the display case.