Angelfish has become very popular, probably due to it’s green listing with SASSI (South African Sustainable Seafood initiative). It’s also relatively cheap, and the quality of Angelfish available is great. The best quality Angelfish is slightly pink and is firm in texture.
This recipe is for Angelfish baked in a foil package in the oven with a delicious combination of fennel and cherry tomatoes.
800g filleted Angelfish (cut your Angelfish in half length ways leaving the very middle, with the bones. This will give you 2 fillets free of bones)
2 bulbs fennel, thinly sliced (you could use a mandolin or peeler)
4 Tbsp fennel leaves, finely chopped
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
sea salt and pepper
- Divide the fennel and tomatoes into four and place in the centre of 4 foil squares (about 20cm x 20cm).
- Season with salt and pepper and a dash of olive oil
- Place Angelfish on top of the fennel and tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with fennel leaves and another dash of olive oil.
- Close up foil, place on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven at 160 for 10 minutes.
- To serve remove the fish from the parcel and top with cooked fennel and tomato mixture.