We sell out most weeks so I've had to be sneaky and actually buy some from myself and hide them away.
So these are my last three experiments and I'm happy to say they were delish. So much so that I had to blog the recipes quickly so I wouldn't forget. Apologies for the quick cell phone picks, we just could wait to tuck in.
For more information on Mussels, their cooking and harvesting please check out one of my older posts: Mussels an open and shut case
Recipes that follow:
Mussels with chorizo and beer
Mussels with peas and wine
Mussels with chorizo, beer and tomato
Feed 2 to 3
Delicious, rich and spicy
1kg mussels cleaned and de-bearded
1 bunch leeks, sliced
a few sprigs thyme
1 tin, whole peeled tomatoes
1 Chilli, de-seeded and chopped
a little butter
1 glass of beer - a wine glass
a handful flat leaf parsley
- Slowly sauté the leeks in a little butter to soften but not colour.
- Add the chorizo and allow to cook slowly for around 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic and thyme, stew slowly for 10 to 15 minutes until thick.
- Pour in the beer. Turn up the heat.
- Top with mussels.
- Steam for 5 minutes, until all the mussels have opened.
- Finish off with a handful of flat leaf parsley.
Peas, leeks, fennel and wine go so well with Mussels
1 bunch of leeks, sliced
a little olive oil
- Fry the leeks and fennel a little olive oil.
- Add the garlic and wine and allow to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until the fennel and leeks are soft. Add more liquid (wine or stock if necessary)
- Toss in the Mussels.
- Steam the Mussels until they open - about 5 minutes.
- Remove the Mussels from the pot.
- Add the peas and simmer until just cooked.
- Add the butter little by little stirring in-between to emulsify.
- Finish the sauce with a handful of parsley.
- Add the Mussels, season and serve.
1.2 litre fish or chicken stock
salt and pepper
- Fry leeks and onions in a little butter
- Add potatoes, stock and thyme
- Allow to simmer until potatoes are just soft
- Add the frozen Mussels
- Cook for 2 minutes
- Blend in the food processor
- Add the cream.
- When you ready to serve, toss in the cleaned Mussels or defrosted frozen 1/2 shell mussels
- Simmer slowly until the Mussels open
- Add parsley and serve